Director of Financial Planning & Analysis
The Kapor Center for Social Impact (KCSI) is a family of innovative and groundbreaking organizations that pursue innovative strategies to leverage capital and technology for positive, progressive impact.
KCSI seeks a Director of Financial Planning & Analysis to lead the budgeting, forecasting and reporting activities at KCSI. The ideal candidate will have depth in FP&A, a track record/experience of integrating, streamlining and automating financial and investment data to inform management reporting and decision-making. In addition, the candidate will support the FP&A needs of the non-profit & foundation. Experience in investment performance tracking and reporting is highly desirable. Reporting to the CFO, the Director will work in close collaboration with the Controller, the accounting staff and senior leadership across KCSI.
KCSI encompasses a private foundation, a for-profit investment partnership, and a non-profit 501(c)(3), plus supporting corporate entities. As a result, the work spans multiple platforms and strategies, and is organized into the following core areas:
Kapor Center for Social Impact -- Diversifying Tech
Through the development of innovative partnerships, programs, and cross-sector forums, KCSI is working to increase the presence and viability of underrepresented people of color and women of all backgrounds in the tech sector as producers, entrepreneurs, financiers, and thought leaders.
KCSI will also create a unique community space which will include meeting space for mission-aligned organizations and companies, office space for the center’s staff and partners and a restaurant. Our new building allows for close collaboration between KCSI’s many different programs and its community partners, all of which are dedicated to the empowerment of low-income and underrepresented communities. http://www.kaporcenter.org
Kapor Capital -- Venture Capital for Social Impact
Kapor Capital is our venture capital investment arm. We invest in seed stage tech startups that generate both economic returns and positive social impact. We believe investing in a diverse population of entrepreneurs is a strategic advantage for an investor. Examples of our investment portfolio can be seen at www.kaporcapital.com.
Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI) – STEM Education for All
The Level Playing Field Institute is a signature initiative of KCSI, committed to eliminating the barriers faced by underrepresented people of color in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and fostering their untapped talent for the advancement of our nation. LPFI operates as a separate 501(c)(3) and is supported administratively by KCSI, including in the realm of human resource management.
KCSI is looking for an excellent and experienced FP&A professional who shares a passion for KCSI’s mission and has the financial and technical experience to guide KCSI’s budgeting, forecasting and reporting activities.
Competitive candidates will have 7+ years of FP&A experience with a demonstrated track record of building integrated data systems to streamline and automate financial management. Experience and familiarity with database tools and cloud based budget/forecasting systems such as Adaptive Insights, and the technical comfort to “roll up your sleeves” and implement solutions is a big plus. Successful candidates will be personally and professionally aligned with KCSI’s unique, values-driven culture, which is highly attuned to social justice and presumes that fairness is central to any definition of corporate success.
Other Desired Experiences and Qualifications include:
- Experience in creating consolidated cash flow forecasting models
- Expertise in managing and integrating data from the accounting system (QuickBooks), databases, spreadsheets and other financial management tools into management facing reports that are flexible and customizable to meet evolving needs.
- Experience in reporting and benchmarking of private equity investments
- Keen attention to detail, high quality work and commitment to accuracy and timeliness in work products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex financial information effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Extreme confidentiality regarding sensitive financial and employee information.
- Positive, approachable, dependable, and flexible to meet changing organizational needs.
Personal Attributes and Characteristics
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following:
- Ability to work in a dynamic office with diverse co-workers and a highly entrepreneurial culture.
- Deep and authentic commitment to our organizational values:
- We extend TRUST and CARE from day one.
- We operate with PERSONAL INTEGRITY at every turn.
- Our DIVERSITY is critical to our success.
- We create and pursue OPPORTUNITIES that further our mission.
- We appreciate and uphold our unique organizational CULTURE.
- We prioritize working with individuals and organizations that share values similar to ours.
- Innovative and creative thinker who is not afraid to try something new and inspire others.
- Very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness.
- Strong work ethic with minimal need for direction.
- Work well independently as well as part of a team.
- A desire to work and grow in a fast-paced and fun environment.
The Director of Financial Planning & Analysis will be focused on the following key responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain robust short and long term cash (multi-year) forecasting for all entities to assure adequate planning for operational and investment liquidity requirements.
- Implement a cloud-based forecasting tool that integrates with the accounting software (to be migrated from quickbooks), and produce insightful financial reports and dashboards
- Provide leadership in budget development, tracking and reporting to assure alignment of resources with strategic priorities and careful stewardship of KCSI resources that include a for-profit, non-profit & private foundation
- Provide input and direction for improved P&L reporting to drive accountability and provide greater financial performance insight to operating entities
- Develop and maintain private equity investment models (for reporting purposes only) to inform decisions on liquidity and understanding of performance.
- Ensure reporting deadlines are met with timely and accurate financial data, working in collaboration with the Controller and the Accounting team
- Manage budget variance reporting and provide recommendations on course of action to management when results differ from plan. Support management and department heads with in depth analysis.
- Provide ad hoc financial and budget reports for staff preparing funding and grant applications
- Maintain written KCSI budgeting and forecasting policies and procedures, ensuring they are up-to-date and easily accessible to finance staff.
KCSI provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance, 401K, paid time off, holiday benefits and more. The KCSI office is located in the uptown district of Oakland, with excellent access to public transportation.
Please apply with your cover letter addressed to Gaurav Vashist that explains the reason why you would like to work for KCSI, and a brief summary of your experience and strengths, and attach a resume. KCSI is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.