Portfolio Talent Director
Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland, CA that invests predominantly in seed stage information technology companies whose core business simultaneously generates strong economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing the lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities especially low income communities and/or communities of color, or are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to: education, financial inclusion, health, employment, and justice. Kapor Capital has more than 100 companies in its portfolio, including LendUp, Genius Plaza, Pigeonly, Health Sherpa, Managed by Q, Clever and Honor.
Kapor Capital is seeking to hire a Talent Director to play a significant role in attracting, recruiting, hiring and providing partnership to our portfolio companies as a key member of the Platform Team. Candidates should have successful full-time experience working in an HR/People Ops or Recruiting or TA role at a venture capital firm, technology start-up, or accelerator.
- Lead recruiting efforts for our portfolio companies to ensure they attract a diverse pool of top talent across a variety of sectors including engineering, sales and leadership
- Support portfolio companies’ hiring managers in all aspects of the hiring process both in assessing hiring needs both present and future and building out the team
- Develop/advise on strategies/programs to recruit and retain top talent
- Identify full cycle strategies for startups to attract, engage, recruit, and hire
- Recommend or create People Operations Tech tools and resources to improve recruiting and retention
- Manage Kapor Capital’s job board and candidate network
- Represent Kapor Capital at relevant start-up, social impact and/or sector specific conferences and events. This includes being able to discuss our approach to D&I, SMASH and the Kapor Center.
- Work with Portfolio Services Director and Kapor Center’s Director of Tech Workplace Initiatives to design workshops for portfolio companies
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in both professional experience and community engagement
- 3-6+ years of relevant work experience, including, but not limited to past experience in HR, TA, People Ops, and/or Recruiting at venture capital firms, technology startups,incubators or accelerators
- Previous experience building professional relationships and networks in the People Ops/HR/Talent space
- Ability and presence to influence and advise tech startup founders, engineering managers, co-investors and leaders throughout the tech ecosystem
- Knowledge of which D&I strategies are effective and which have failed and why
- Excellent project management skills; able to manage expectations, juggle multiple priorities/needs in parallel and quickly
- Strong EQ and communication, organizational skills
- Commitment to changing the tech ecosystem to make it more welcoming to entrepreneurs, investors, and others from all backgrounds.
- Access to a robust and diverse network of technical talent, engineers, product managers, etc..
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories”, Kapor Capital also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g. stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Kapor Capital.