Remote Site IT Technician
The Level Playing Field Institute (LPFI) seeks candidates for 8-week, part-time positions (5) as Remote Site Technicians in the following locations:
- UC Berkeley (ASAP through July 29)
- UCLA (June 10 through August 5)
- UC Davis (June 10 through August 5)
- Morehouse College (Atlanta) (ASAP through July 22)
- Stanford University (June 17 through August 12)
The goal of this position is to support the technical needs of scholars, instructors and staff during our Summer Math And Science Honors (SMASH) program for high school students. The program, in partnership with UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCLA, Morehouse and Stanford, offers education opportunities to high school aged scholars of color from under-resourced areas.
The primary responsibilities of the role are:
- support the technical needs of the site;
- act as a liaison between site staff and central office IT staff and;
- help manage the setup and maintenance of scholar laptops.
As a member of the IT team, you will work closely with the Site Director and staff to manage the technical aspects of the SMASH program as well as ensure the ongoing performance of technical equipment.
Some of the expected support needs occur after standard work hours and on weekends, so the ability to have some flexible hours and work weekend hours is a requirement.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Respond to technical support needs by identifying, diagnosing and resolving issues
- Work with IT team to coordinate support and track issues in our ticketing system
- Image scholar laptops with a standard image (provided) before the program starts (UCLA only) and to repair software issues as necessary during the program
- Monitor laptops and other technical equipment to ensure they operate as needed
- Assist with classroom AV and presentation needs
- Work with technicians from other sites to report and resolve common problems
- Work with central office IT staff to escalate issues if needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Skills (including preferred):
- A passion for tech, diversity and education
- Experience with Clonezilla imaging software
- Experience using ticketing systems, especially Freshdesk
- Experience working with classroom environment projectors and sounds systems
- Experience troubleshooting wireless network issues
- Experience using Google Docs
- Familiarity with OS X and Windows
- Familiarity with AirPlay and Chromecast
- Service minded approach to support
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with non-technical users
- Ability to follow and issue oral and written instructions
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
Personal Attributes and Characteristics:
- 1 year technical support experience
- Ability to work a somewhat flexible schedule
- Safely lift up to 50 pounds
Competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience. This position is not eligible for benefits.