Kapor Capital is an early stage venture capital firm based in Oakland, CA that invests predominantly in seed stage information technology companies whose core business simultaneously generates strong economic value and positive social impact. Specifically, we look for companies that are addressing the lack of access and opportunity for underserved communities especially low income communities and/or communities of color, or are bringing about the disruptive democratization of a sector. Investment sectors include, but are not limited to: education, financial inclusion, health, employment, and justice. Kapor Capital has more than 100 companies in its portfolio, including LendUp, Genius Plaza, Pigeonly, Health Sherpa, Managed by Q, Clever and Honor.
Kapor Capital is seeking to hire a Principal to be a member of the investment team and work closely with the partners. Candidates should have successful full-time experience working in venture capital. Other previous entrepreneurial and/or investment experience of any kind is a significant plus, especially if related to information technology.
- Source new investment opportunities: research prospective startups and connect with entrepreneurs
- Evaluate investment opportunities: meet with founders and management teams, conduct market research, and financial and customer due diligence all within the context of gap-closing, venture scale, tech-driven businesses.
- Co-lead new investments, and join the deal team of existing portfolio companies
- Lead various ecosystem building activities related to supporting entrepreneurs pre and post funding, individually, by segments and as a portfolio (e.g. suggest and organize workshops on key topics such as UX, recruiting diverse talent, how to create a welcoming working environment, etc...)
- Interact with entrepreneurs, advisors, clients, financial organizations, lawyers, Diversity and Inclusion experts, and non-profits on behalf of the firm
- Represent Kapor Capital at relevant start-up, social impact and/or sector specific conferences and events. This includes being able to talk about our approach to D&I, as well as to talk about activities going on at SMASH and Kapor Center.
The Ideal Candidate Has:
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- 3-6 years of relevant work experience, including, but not limited to past experience working at technology startups, incubators or accelerators
- At least 2 years of previous venture capital experience, preferably at an early stage venture firm
- Familiarity with venture capital financing structures and practices, e.g. convertible debt and equity
- Shared commitment to social impact and supporting entrepreneurs, especially from underrepresented backgrounds and those building companies that close gaps of access and/or opportunity for low-income communities and/or communities of color.
- An inquisitive personality, able to gather and synthesize information, and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Commitment to changing the tech ecosystem to make it more welcoming to entrepreneurs, investors, and others from all backgrounds.
Nice to Have:
- Previous experience in one of our investment focus areas; EdTech, FinTech, HealthIT, or People Ops Tech
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with entrepreneurs, co-investors and other members of the startup ecosystem
- Strong interpersonal, communication and people management skills
- Excellent business research skills
- BA/BS or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to work in Oakland, CA
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on “protected categories”, Kapor Capital also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g. stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Kapor Capital.